Why should I choose the UK as my Study destination? 

There are several advantages of studying in the UK. The key features are 

  1. No Language barrier – It’s an English-speaking country 
  1. 100s of universities to choose from. According to QS World University Rankings, 8 UK Universities are ranked in the top 50. 
  1. Very diverse population – About 14% of the UK population are foreign nationals.  
  1. Plenty of support for international students – through online, University or local bodies, so you will not feel lost 
  1. You can stay for 2 more years after your graduation (both bachelor’s and Master’s) and 3 years for your Doctorate. Thus, it makes it easier to explore job opportunities and settle there. 

What are the requirements to study in the UK? 

Though the entry requirements for each course and University vary considerably, the basic requirements to study in the UK are 


  • Certificate of completion of 10+2 education with required marks 
  • Statement of Purpose 
  • Letters of Recommendation 
  • Scores of English Proficiency test 
  • Passport and other government ID proofs 
  • Bank statement to prove the financials for funding 
  • University Offer Letter 
  • Student Visa 
  • Work-related documents (if any) 
  • Medium of Instruction letter (if available) 


  • Certificate of Completion of an Undergraduate degree in the related discipline with required marks 
  • Statement of Purpose 
  • Letters of Recommendation 
  • English Proficiency Test Score 
  • Resume 
  • Bank statement to prove the financials for funding 
  • University offer letter 
  • Valid Passport 
  • Student Visa 
  • Work-related documents (if any) 
  • Medium of Instruction letter (if available) 


  • Certificate of completion of Undergraduate and Master’s degree in the related discipline with required marks 
  • Statement of Purpose 
  • Letters of Recommendation 
  • English Proficiency Test score 
  • Resume 
  • Research Proposal – for the intended research 
  • Bank statement to prove the financials for funding 
  • University offer letter 
  • Valid passport 
  • Student Visa 
  • Work-related documents (if any) 
  • Medium of Instruction letter (if available) 

What are the different types of Courses available in the UK? 

Bachelors 3 years 
Bachelors with Sandwich year 4 years (1 yr. internship after 2nd year) 
Masters 1 year 
Masters with Sandwich year 2 years (1 yr. internship or placement) 
Integrated Masters 4 years (UG +PG) 
Integrated Masters with Sandwich year 5 years (UG +PG+ 1 yr. Internship) 

Do I need to appear for any entrance exams for applying to UK Universities? 

English Proficiency Test – TOEFL / IELTS 

Graduate Test – GRE / GMAT – GMAT is for graduate business programs, while GRE is for all the graduate courses 

Other Tests based on the subject/ field you would like to pursue 

Law – Cambridge Law Test / LNAT (National Admissions test for Law) 

Mathematics – MAT (mathematics Admission Test) / STEP (Sixth term examination paper) / Test of Mathematics for University Admissions 

Medicine – Biomedical Admissions Test (BMAT) / Graduate Medical School Admissions Test (GMSAT) / Health Professions Admission test (HPAT Ulster) / UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) 

Please check with the individual university website to understand which test is required for your selected course. 

Apart from these entrance tests, do we have any interviews with the University? 

Yes. Some universities conduct Skype interviews to assess your whole profile. They may also be interested in understanding your motivation behind studying in the UK, particularly in that University and the course. 

How much does it cost to study in the UK? 

The tuition fees range from 3500 to 20000 pounds per annum depending on the course and the university. The living expenses vary between 400 to 900 pounds per month depending on the location and the type of accommodation you choose.  

Which language tests are accepted by UK Universities? 

IELTS is widely recognized across UK Universities and UKVI. However, some universities do accept TOEFL / PTE / Cambridge tests as well 

Can I study in the UK without IELTS? 

Yes. Certain Universities exempt students from IELTS and accept students on the basis of their marks in the English language in their class 12 examination.  

Is the study gap acceptable in the UK? 

Yes. But the student needs to demonstrate work experience during those gap years. For Example, most of the universities accept students for Masters with 10-12 years of experience from the date of their graduation and for Bachelor’s work experience of 2 – 3 years is accepted. 

Do Universities in the UK accept students with a backlog history? 

Most of the Universities in the UK are lenient and do not take into account the number of attempts.  However, please note, they do not accept active backlogs.  

Do we get scholarships for studying in the UK? 

Universities across the UK offer scholarships to international students. You can also get scholarships from the British government and from your local corporate or private bodies.  However, the scholarships are granted based on certain criteria and student profiles. 

Can I work on Student Visa? 

Yes. International students are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during their term time and are allowed to work 40 hours per week during holidays.  

What are the accommodation options available in the UK for Indian Students? 

Halls of residence that are on site or near the university or college campus, look out for private accommodation or shared accommodation. 

What are the Halls of Residence in the UK? 

Most of the Universities in the UK have their own student halls on campus reserved for 1st-year students that have all the facilities for the student to live. This is mainly to cater for international students who land up in a new country. 

Which different funding options are accepted by UK Universities? 

  • Personal savings 
  • International study loan 
  • Scholarships or Financial Grants from Universities, NGOs, Government bodies or private organizations 

How much is the bank balance to be shown for the UK student Visa? 

Students need to show 28 days’ bank statements showing 9 months’ living expenses and the balance of tuition fees. 

Do UK Institutions recognize the 10+2+3 education system for masters? 


Which are the best cities in the UK that have good universities? 

London, Edinburg, Manchester, Glasgow, Coventry, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Birmingham, Leeds, Nottingham, Bristol 

What are the different intake years in UK universities? 

There are mainly two intakes in the UK:

  • September / October Intake 
  • January/ February Intake 

Some universities also provide April/May intake for a few courses 

What are the key challenges international students face in the UK? 

Feeling Homesick, Language, Culture shock, Finance, Problems integrating 

What is CAS? 

CAS is confirmation acceptance for studies that are provided by the university with a unique reference number.  This CAS number is mandatory to apply for a UK student visa. 

What should I mention in the Statement of Purpose? 

It should comprise your reason to choose the university, the course and also your career goal. You should also mention your work experience (in case of gap years), extracurricular activities, internship and any other information to support your choice of the course. 

Will my internship experience be considered as work experience by UK Universities for Admission? 

No. An internship is usually undertaken for a short period of time and hence is not considered work experience. However, in certain cases, it is considered depending on the role you played in the organization, the level on which the company operates and the length of your association with the organization. 

What is LOR? 

A letter of Recommendation (LOR) is a document that provides a comprehensive insight into the suitability of your candidature for a particular course/ university. The two types of LOR are 

  1. Academic LOR – Provided by the Head of the department, in case of students who do not have work experience 
  1. Professional LOR – Provided by the supervisor in case of work experience. 

What are the aspects to be considered in the LOR? 

  1. It should be typed on the letterhead of the institution/company 
  1. In either case, the recommender should be an active employee of the organization. 
  1. The LOR should demonstrate the perspectives of your personality as perceived by the recommender at work. 
  1. LOR should contain your qualities and accomplishments reinforced with strong real instances. 
  1. Remember to have each of your LOR to be unique 

What is the ideal English proficiency test score required to study in the UK? 

Most of the Universities accept: 

  • An IELTS score of 6.0 – 6.5 
  • PTE score of 55 – 56 
  • TOEFL score of 92 – 95 

What is MOI? 

Few Universities in the UK accept students who had completed their studies in English as a medium of Instruction.  Medium of Instruction (MOI) is the letter the head of the institution or department provides stating that your medium of instruction in your studies was English. 

What is 2:2 or 2:1 degree equivalent by Indian standards? 

The University degree classifications in the UK are as follows:

  • First Class Honours (First or 1st) – 70% and above 
  • Upper Second-class Honours (2:1, 2.i) – 60% – 70% 
  • Lower Second Class Honours (2:2, 2.ii) – 50% – 60% 
  • Third Class Honours (Third or 3rd) – 40% – 50% 

Should I undergo a medical test for applying Student Visa to the UK? 

Yes. Tuberculosis Test is a mandatory test for any Indian student going to the UK for more than 6 months. 

How long does it take to process a UK student Visa? 

Usually, the whole process takes about 30 – 45 working days from the day you received your admission till you get the visa.  However, this may vary from case to case. 

What are documents required to be presented for processing the UK student visa? 

Here below is the checklist for the UK student visa processing:

  1. Letter of Acceptance or CAS from the University 
  1. Supporting documents specifying the course you applied for, and the duration of the study. 
  1. Letter of Recommendation from the Institute or organization (if having work experience) 
  1. Degree certificates and transcripts 
  1. Documents supporting your academic and non-academic achievements 
  1. English Proficiency test score 
  1. GRE / GMAT test score 
  1. Valid Passport 
  1. Passport size photograph – size specified by UKVI 
  1. Visa application fee payment receipt 
  1. Bank letters/sponsor letters to substantiate your financial capacity, dated no later than 30 days from the date of admission 
  1. Experience letter from the employer (if you have previous work experience) 

If you are considering studying abroad why don’t you discuss your prospects and opportunities with experts at Lurnable’s dedicated study abroad counselling division LurnPathways?

Back to top