Studying abroad is not the only reason for international students to seek admissions to foreign universities. Many of them want to explore the option of living and working abroad. Not surprisingly, the post-study work visa is a major factor for international students to decide their destination. It offers the opportunity to work in a different culture, gain diverse skills, and unlock immigration options eventually. Here is a list of the countries where you can get a post-study work visa as an international student.


Australia is among the top international education destinations in the world as it has some of the leading universities offering diverse programmes. It is also home to vibrant cities and incredible culture that embraces immigrants with aplomb. International students can secure the Temporary Graduate Visa after graduating and stay back for two to four years, depending on their degree.


Canada has emerged as one of the most sought-after countries for international students. It offers a mix of quality education, warm culture, and high living standards. Graduating from a designated learning institution (DLI) in the country makes you eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). It lets you temporarily stay in Canada to work after completing your education in the country.


Studying in Finland gives you access to free student healthcare services and a high-quality life along with a world-class education. As an EU student, you can stay up to a year after graduation by applying for an extended residence permit. After securing a job, you get a new residence permit with your work placement. However, you may need Finnish or Swedish language skills to get a job in the country.


Germany is acclaimed for providing quality education for free or on a budget. It also allows graduates from non-EU/EEA countries to extend their residence permits after graduation. The extension is for up to 18 months during which they can seek employment. After securing a job, you can get the EU Blue Card programme. It is the work- and residence permit for people from non-EU/EEA countries. Anyone who completes tertiary education and/or has three-plus years of professional experience in the relevant profile can apply for the Blue Card.


Ireland is rife with professional opportunities as it has more than 000 leading multinational companies, including Google, Apple, IBM, HP, Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook, Pfizer, GSK, and Genzyme. The Revised Third Level Graduate Scheme Permission enables international students to remain here after graduating in the country. The permit allows you to stay back for 24 months to seek employment.


New Zealand has eight universities ranking among the top 500 in the world. Besides quality education and beautiful locales, the country makes it to the international education lists because of the post-study visa option. The visa allows you to work for one and three years and lets you pick any occupation.


Singapore is among the top higher education and research destinations in Southeast Asia. You can secure a Short-Term Visit Pass after the expiry of your student pass as an international student. It lets you look for employment for 90 days. Graduating from one of the Institute of Higher Learning (IHL) enables you to apply for a one-year non-renewable Long-term Social Visit Pass. The country offers three types of post-study work visas for international students-

  • The Employment Pass for foreign professionals, executives, and managers
  • The S Pass for mid-level skilled staff
  • The EntrePass for eligible foreign entrepreneurs


Another popular Southeast Asian destination for international students is South Korea. The country also offers work opportunities after graduation. You can apply for the D-10 visa after completing an associate’s or bachelor’s degree. After finding employment, you can switch to an E-1 Visa. The following are the categories to explore;

  • Professor (E-1)
  • Foreign Language Instructor (E-2)
  • Researcher (E-3)
  • Technical Instructor/Technician (E-4)
  • Professional (E-5)
  • Artist/Athlete (E-6)
  • Foreign National of Special Ability (E-7)


The UK has recently opened the Graduate Route to boost the international education sector in post-pandemic times. International graduates can apply to stay back for work after completing their university programmes. The two-year Graduate visa cannot be extended, but you can switch to a different visa such as the Skilled Worker visa if you have a relevant job with an approved employer.


Thousands of international students land in the US every year in pursuit of the American Dream. The F-1 visa lets you work in the country after completing your degree. It qualifies you for Optional Practical Training (OPT), provided you study in the US for a minimum of one year. With this option, you can live and work for 12 months even without employer sponsorship. The STEM OPT allows STEM students to stay for 24 months instead of 12 months. After completing your OPT, you can convert to the H-1B visa, provided you have a minimum bachelor’s degree in a field relating to your job scope. But your employer has to file this visa for you.

Now that you have this list at hand, you can review your options and pick the one that works for you.

If you are considering studying abroad why don’t you discuss your prospects and opportunities with experts at Lurnable’s dedicated study abroad counselling division LurnPathways?

Back to top